These little things are to die for. I always love a mint and dark chocolate combo, but on top of that there’s also coconut – real, natural, delicious coconut flakes. The cool peppermint centre is bursting with flavour, yet the treat as a whole is fairly light. You can actually taste how fresh and natural these peppermint patties are. The first two ingredients of a typical peppermint patty are sugar and corn syrup (barf city), not to mention the rest of the lingering ingredients are made up mostly of other sugars, preservatives, and artificial flavours. There are only five ingredients in my recipe, and not one of them contains gluten, dairy, or refined sugar. Oh yeah, and they also taste pretty kick ass.
-1 ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
-¼ cup agave nectar
-3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
-¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
-1 cup of dark chocolate chips (or dark chocolate bar pieces)
1. In a food processor, process the shredded coconut for about 15 seconds or so, until it becomes a bit more fine. Add in your agave and pulse. Next add in your melted coconut oil and peppermint extract and pulse until a paste forms. ***TASTE YOUR PASTE*** If the 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract doesn’t tickle your fancy, add more (1/8 of a teaspoon will kick it up a bit).
2. Remove the paste from the food processor and start forming little patties with your hands. I made mine about an inch and a half in size (about the size of a poker chip). Place the patties on a baking sheet and place in the freezer for 10 – 15 minutes until they harden.
3. Place your chocolate in a microwavable bowl and microwave until the chocolate has melted – this will take about four minutes. If there are still chunks of chocolate, stir the chocolate until it fully melts.
4. Take your frozen patties from the freezer and coat them in the chocolate by gently dipping them in the bowl. Your chocolate will probably be pretty hot if you do this right away, so it’s a good idea to let it cool down a bit (or alternatively, you can dip them using chopsticks). Lay them again on the baking sheet and freeze again for 10 – 15 minutes, until the chocolate has hardened.
5. Voila! All natural peppermint patties. Make sure to store any leftovers in the fridge.
This recipe makes about 14 baby little peppermint patties.